Sunday, March 12, 2006

Results

Well, well, well; after what seems like only the next day after recieving the envelope (i.e. my GCSE results), I get yet another little piece of paper with some life-changing numbers on it. In this case, it happens to be my AS Level module results.

Curiously, the one about which I was most concerned was General Studies - although I am aware of its irrelevance when it comes to reputable UCAS centres, I do enjoy writing, and it was my hope that the fluent diction (if I do say so myself) utilised in the exam would boost the grades. Consequently, it was with great trepidation that I approached the sixth form building and, upon entering, I was immediately congratulated by the Head of Year for my General Studies result. Presumably to infuriate me, she didn't actually quantify it in any way, but instead ushered me into the common room, which served to compound the situation by taking on the role of a sauna.

I'll spare you the gory details, but, stuffed like a sardine between a computer and a pillar, I sat for a good hour through presentations about results, presentations about university bursaries and banal speeches about studentship. Suffice to say that if such a thing as platitude-o-meter existed, it would have exploded from sheer overwork.

Finally, after much tedium, we were sent to our tutor rooms to recieve the results. Upon picking up that piece of paper, I noticed immediately two letters at the bottom of the list: an A and a U. An interesting contrast, but regrettably the only one I'd be performing for a while, since the lazy dipshits at Edexcel and AQA regard translating marks into results as an insurmountable challenge.

It transpired eventually that my General Studies Paper 1 mark was in fact one of (if not the) highest in the year, with the second paper failing to meet the standards set by the first and falling at a more mediocre B (2 marks off an A). Physics, in a similar vein, was three marks from an A, while Chemistry and Computing both sat above the A-grade border. And Maths? Well, that would be the U.

Overall then, a satisfying set indeed - I plan to retake most of them for the sake of getting higher marks (unfortunately, the exam boards don't work purely with grades). Here's to hoping that the summer grades maintain parity...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home